The Beginners Guide to Making Money at Home as a Mum
I completely changed my life the day I became a single mum. I had no idea at the time that the decision I made would become a surprisingly positive decision, especially with making money at home and building online businesses. This breakdown to breakthrough moment for mine and my daughter’s lives forced me to take responsibility for making money at home and making it fit around mum life. I am going to share with you a beginners guide to making money at home as a mum to help you!
I grew up with a dad who was successful in his business. He had the money to provide for his family and was a huge financial support for my life. When I got married I had a super supportive husband who supported my decision to be a stay at home mum and therefore he took on the responsibility for our finances. When my dad passed away and I got a divorce, as you can imagine I had to learn to take responsibility for making money at home and providing for me and my daughter.
I tried multiple ways to make money from home as a stay at home mum. After many different ventures, I finally learned what worked for me and how to make money at home as a mum.
This in-depth guide will show you exactly how to make money at home as a mum, what tools to use, how to get started, answer your questions, and how to grow a business online. Wow, that’s a lot of awesome!
This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using this link. Please see my disclosure for more details.
What is Making Money as a Mum at Home?
I help mums make money at home. But this guide can be used by any ambitious woman who wants to make money at home.
- It’s for the single mum who needs to make money for her family.
- It’s for the stay at home mum who wants to contribute to the family finances.
- It’s for the working mum who wants to spend more time with her children.
- It’s for mums with grown children who want to work at home.
- If you’re a woman, this guide is for you.
How to Get Started with Making Money at Home
There are many way to make money at home, this is exciting and can be overwhelming knowing where to start. It can be a very inexpensive cost to start a business. Compared to standard businesses, the start-up costs for many online businesses are low. You could spend less than £100 or pay thousands of pounds to get started. Honestly, you don’t need a huge saving to start working from home. Do not let start-up costs stop you from starting!
Depending on the type of business venture for making money at home, here are some basic essentials to include:
- social media accounts
- email list
- website and blog
- network of successful business people
- like-minded mums
- a mentor
- invest in a course to help start the business
- business bank account
- banking online account
- an awesome mindset
You don’t need a perfect business plan, perfect website or perfect office set up to start. Just start! You can build a business at home without fancy tools. With the essentials, you can make money at home and easily grow a sustainable income.
Tips for Success in Making Money at Home as a Mum
Over the years, from pre-baby to now, I have ventured into different online businesses, been self-employed and been a business owner. I have a few online businesses which provide multiple streams of income, and to be creative for my love of content creation as an online entrepreneur. I am sharing my preferred ways to make money at home and will give you an honest review of what I do and use.
Remember, as you grow, build a strong belief in yourself and make money, you’ll adapt, change and think bigger for your ways to make money. It’s ok to have a starting point and then evolve as you grow, but remember you have to start somewhere. Do not let the fear of what others think or believing you have to stick to just one form of income be the thing that stops you doing it.
With that, here are my tips to be successful in making money at home.
Forex Trading – Best for Minimal Time
Forex trading is great for working minimal time and having flexibility with the time of day you work. You can work morning, afternoon or evening. You will spend a maximum of 1 hour a day trading. You will trade anytime Monday to Friday with weekends off. You do not need thousands of pounds to start trading.
You might be thinking, what the heck is Forex?
Yes, I totally get you. I was introduced to Forex after conversations with a loved one. It sparked my curiosity and I came across Fast Track Forex. This is a beginner’s course to Forex and was the perfect starting point for me when I had never worked in the financial industry and knew zero about Forex trading.
This course is created by a phenomenal woman Hither Mann who helps people with money and mindset. She has helped me so much with my finances, business and money mindset. Hither has become a mentor for my forex trading and businesses as she is a super smart and successful woman who knows how to be efficient and productive with money and building businesses.
What is Forex?
Forex is trading with foreign exchange. Quite simply, it’s the global market that allows the exchange of one currency for another. If you’ve ever travelled to another country you will have exchanged the money you have in your wallet into the currency of the country you are visiting.
The changes in the exchange rate between a pair of currencies allow you to make money in the foreign exchange market. It is the largest financial market in the world and there is a lot of money to make in this industry.
You don’t need to do Forex, but after my time in trading Forex, I honestly believe it is one of the most obvious ways to make money at home. It is my number one focus above my other businesses as it does not rely on anybody else. You have more control over this stream of income compared to a business that relies on customers.
I believe everyone should be doing Forex. It is smart when following a solid risk management strategy, it’s fun, it’s interesting and it’s amazing for fitting around mum life.
- Maximum 1 hour a day: The strategy only teaches you to trade up to one hour a day. This is perfect for fitting in around other commitments and being mum.
- Monday to Friday day trading: The strategy is only for day trading Monday to Friday which means you can schedule it around family life and not feel you have to work on a weekend. You work during the week for the maximum one hour with your schedule.
- Simple to Follow for a Beginner: I had never traded in my life before this and I found the course super easy to follow. Everything I learned I was able to implement and start making profits straight away when I started trading.
- Affordable Course: Hither teaches different levels of Forex trading and this beginners course is super affordable to get started.
- Affordable Investment: To start trading you do need money to put in your trading account. This does not need to be thousands and thousands of pounds. Yes, you can start with a £25,000 trading account, and you can start with a £500 trading account. This is a business, so you will have to invest some money.
- Profitable: When you follow the course and implement the strategy, following the entry rules, exit rules and risk management, you will make money. You will have wins and losses. You will make a profit with trades. And you will lose a few trades, it’s a part of the process. Trade smart following the strategy and rules and you can create a super source of income at home online.
Blogging – Best for Creatives
I love to create content and finding Suzi from startamomblog.com was a true blessing. This mum of three has built an incredible business making money at home blogging.
I first started blogging years ago as a personal trainer. I would blog my workouts and nutrition and loved sharing this simple content. Over time this passion grew to become a freelance writer for health and fitness websites. I did all of this before having my daughter, stopped for a while whilst raising a baby, and when she was almost 2 years old I wanted a creative outlet for a few hours a week.
I love writing, photography and creating content and this led me to Suzi at Start a Mom Blog. I instantly fell in love with her resources, how she helps mums blog and make money at home, and her incredible ebooks and online courses.
I started blogging again and invested in a few of her online bundles to help me get started. Blog by Number has been the best course to help build a blog with professional steps and a simple method.
The Blog by Number course is a great place to start whether you are a beginner to blogging or need direction with experience in blogging. I am constantly blown away by how much information is in this course, the fact that this mum has created this at home being a mum to her three children, makes over $40,000 a month from her blog, and it is all so simple to follow and apply.
What is Blog by Number?
The perfect course for mums who want to start a blog, find their perfect blog idea, get step by step help with the technical parts, learn how to get traffic and how to make money with their blog.
I love everything about this course and her other courses. Easy for my busy mum brain, covers all my questions, is affordable to buy and doesn’t require you to be tech-savvy.
- Flexible Hours: Blogging is a great way to work at home as you can create a schedule that suits you and family life.
- Creative Outlet: Blogging is perfect to let your voice, creativity and message be heard. Share your passions, interests, skills and help others all through a blog.
- Passive Income: When you have created a smart blog with the right system set up to link to affiliate products, your own products or services, and/or sponsored ads you will have multiple streams of income coming in when you’re busy being mum.
- Create a Community: A blog is a great way to create a community which many of us mums want when being a mum at home.
- Affordable Investment: Starting a blog is an affordable business that does not require thousands of pounds to get started.
- Affordable Course: Blog by Number (and the other courses) are super affordable resources to help you start and create professional blogs, courses, email lists and anything else for a super blog!
Network Marketing – Best for Social Bees
When I was looking for ways to make money at home I stumbled across network marketing, also known as social marketing. The main reason I came to know of this industry was through the company Arbonne.
I reached out in a Facebook group to a bunch of women for ideas on making money at home and many of these women were part of network marketing companies. I clicked with one of the women as we got talking and she introduced me to Arbonne. Straight away I loved the sound of this company and wanted to know more, and basically I dove straight in to join as an Arbonne Independent Consultant as I loved everything about it.
What is network marketing?
Network marketing, also known as Multi-Level Marketing (MLM), is a business model where independent consultants join a company and earn a commission on the products they sell.
I love Arbonne as it promotes healthy living in mind and body. As a company, they empower you to be the healthiest and happiest you through healthy vegan non-toxic products and want to see you thrive. Whether you purchase products as a client, preferred client or become an independent consultant to build a business, Arbonne provides a supportive community with ethical values and a solid belief in living a healthy life.
As a vegan mum, I love Arbonne for its skincare, makeup, bath care and nutrition products. It provides high quality products that are amazing for my body and is cruelty-free. As a consultant I love the big discount on the products and that I can promote healthy products that match my personal values and beliefs as a personal trainer and wellness coach.
- Flexible Hours: You can work this business at any time of the day to suit your schedule.
- Small Investment: It’s a small cost to join as a consultant at only £30. You decide how much money you want to invest in the products to use for yourself and then promote.
- Build Your Own Business: You can build this business whatever way suits you. You can build it online, in person, or both. You can build it through social media, blogs, events, networking events and word of mouth.
- Community: The community in Arbonne is phenomenal. It helped me a tonne when building myself back up after my divorce. The people are supportive, positive and it’s filled with like-minded mums who want to transform their lives.
- Events: Out of this world amazing! Arbonne events are so much fun, inspiring and a great way to meet up with others building a business.
- Passive Income: The compensation plan and structure of the business are a great way to build passive income.
- Online Tools: There are so many resources available online when you sign up as a consultant. The online platform will provide you with all the information you need to build a business.
- Premium Products: The products are vegan, non-toxic, high quality and botanical based. Arbonne provides skincare, bath care, hair care, makeup, baby care and nutrition products. They are excellent and the only products I have been able to use on my incredibly sensitive skin!
*There are no guarantees. Results are different for everyone. Annual typical earning statement available at iccs.arbonne.com.
Freelance Writing – Best for Writers
Creating content is a huge passion of mine, I got into blogging years ago for my fitness business and then I came across freelance writing for health and fitness websites. This meant I would get paid for the thing I love to do! Win-win!
Before I had my daughter I wrote for a couple of health and fitness websites. When I got back into work after becoming a single mum I started writing for one of those websites again. I love to create content and being a freelance writer is a perfect way to do the thing I love and make money at home online.
You can be a complete beginner and an advanced writer. It depends on the job being advertised online. You can write for businesses, websites, social media influencers, and bloggers. Most businesses need written content.
The work could be creating recipes, health articles, workout routines, email newsletters, social media posts, sales pages, blog posts, the scope for freelance writing is huge.
- Flexible Hours: Most freelance writing jobs will be flexible hours. You write the content and get it delivered by the deadline date. Some companies do have bigger jobs with set hours, most just want a set amount of posts delivered by a date. Perfect for fitting around mum life!
- Flexible Rate: Depending on your experience and the job you can create your set rate. Some companies will agree or you will come to an agreement together for the pay rate.
- Creative Outlet: It is a great way to let your creativity flow. Whether you love to develop and photograph recipes, inspire healthy living, empower entrepreneurs, give tips on your profession, share motherhood, there are many businesses that want your help.
Common Questions/FAQ About Making Money at Home as a Mum
Can you make money at home as a mum?
Short answer: yes. There are many ways to make money at home. I have shown a few examples above from my experience that I love for multiple streams of income. Here are 75 Real Ways to Make Money as a Stay at Home Mom.
Do I have to make money at home?
No, of course not. You can do whatever you want with your life. If you need/want to work to make money then you have many options available to you. If you are looking to earn an income and do so from home then looking into ways to make money at home is best so you can make it fit your home life.
Will you help me make money at home?
Yes mama! That is why I have created Mummy Money. I am here to help you find what works for you to make money at home whilst being mum. I will have guides, blogs and online resources to help you put a plan together and create a work life that fits your mum life.
Do I have to do the examples shown above to make money?
No. You can choose whatever line of work you want to make money. The above examples are to give you ideas, and quite honestly they are mentioned for a reason as they work for me and my family life.
How long will it take to make xyz amount of money?
How long is a piece of string? I cannot answer that question with a straight set number. This depends on the work and business you do, how much time you spend working, what money you invest, how consistent you are, and your mindset towards the work. There are many factors at play for how much money you will make.
Can I really make money at home whilst being a busy mum?
Absolutely YES! You can do anything. You have it all within you and you can achieve incredible success with your online business. Choose what fits your schedule, investments, goals and go with your heart. You got this!
The Last Thing You Need to Know About Making Money at Home as a Mum
I want you to be successful. I want to help you and show you that you can do this. Us mums need each other and we have to help each other grow and succeed. Your business will work – simply choose what fits your life and commit to it.
Let your dreams come to life!
It is time to shine girl and step into your power. Working from home takes commitment, a strong mindset and focus. It takes time, just like anything, so having the right support, a solid plan and a super attitude will help you succeed to making lots of money at home with your little ones.
If you really like this blog post and it was helpful for you please share it with your friends and family or leave a comment below. I really appreciate it and would love to hear from you!
This website is owned and operated by Rebecca Hughes, an Arbonne Independent Consultant, and is not endorsed by Arbonne. Any opinions expressed on this website are made by and are the responsibility of the Independent Consultant and should not be construed as a representation of the opinions of Arbonne. Arbonne makes no promises or guarantees that any Independent Consultant will be financially successful, as each Independent Consultant’s results are dependent on their skill and effort. You should not rely on the results of other Arbonne Independent Consultants as an indication of what you should expect to earn. The annual typical earning statement is contained in the Arbonne Independent Consultant Compensation Summary (ICCS) available at iccs.arbonne.com.It is illegal for a promoter or a participant in a trading scheme to persuade anyone to make a payment by promising benefits from getting others to join the scheme. Do not be misled by claims that high earnings are easily achieved.